Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Dell iDRAC 6 Virtual Console - Keyboard Not Working


   When I launch the virtual console for the server my iDRAC is installed on, I am able to see the screen and to click on the logon buttons, however when I want to type anything...no text is passed to the console. I dug a little bit on the Internet and found two suggestions:
  • Problems first appeared after I changed the IP address on the iDRAC config. After some digging, I was able to get my keyboard working again within the Virtual Console Native Plugin by updating the firmware. [Note: I tried this, but it did not solve my problem]
  • I had a defective iDRAC expansion card with outdated firmware. I replaced the card with one running the current firmware (because I was also unable to update the firmware remotely) and the problem was solved. [Note: Wow...strange. iDRAC is built into my Dell system's motherboard, Poweredge R710]
  • I just had the same issue. Login to your DRAC and change the console type from Native to Java. Once I did this i could use my keyboard. It seems to be a problem with iDRAC plugin on my local computer. [Note: This does not appear to be possible with iDRAC 6, this tip must be for a previous version]
  • ...by adding the new iDRAC IP to Trusted Sites in IE.[Note: We already did this via Group Policy and the iDRAC website is trusted]


   None of these things were problems for me, so I tried to run the console in Google Chrome...the browser I normally use for the Internet. I was able to login and when I tried to launch the console, a JNLP file downloaded to my computer to run. From a quick search, I was able to see that JNLP are Java files, and I don't have Java Runtime installed on my computer, so the file would not open. So I downloaded Oracle Java Runtime 7 and installed it (despite my worries of the infinite exploits running around on the Internet and the frequent news releases of security problems with Java). I closed Internet Explorer, relaunched it, logged in, launched the Virtual Console...and still no dice.

I'll post the final solution later.

Notes:
Windows 7 64bit
Internet Explorer 9
Java Runtime 7u21
iDRAC 6 1.95

UPDATE: I found that the 3rd solution I found works for me, I just didn't know how to do it. Here's one way to switch from Native to Java consoles (note: Java Runtime is required as well).


  1. Log into the web interface for iDRAC.
  2. Select System from the right menu and then click Console/Media.
  3. Select the Configuration screen menu
  4. In the Virtual Console section, locate the Plug-in Type drop-down menu and select Java (Native is the default)
  5. Click Apply at the bottom of the screen.
  6. Select the Virtual Console and Virtual Media screen and then click Launch Virtual Console to launch the server console.